Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kassie Katastrophe: Roller Derby Girl Character High-Res Sculpt

This semester in 3D we were introduced to character modeling and Z-brush. It was the first time I had used any sculpting program and I absolutely loved it. Z-brush feels so natural and is a really easy transition from traditional sculpting. For me it was really easy to pick up and I just want to sculpt forever now. Overall including learning the program, the anatomy sculpt, the rest of the sculpt, and texturing I spent about 100 hours on her. A lot of that was exploring the program, learning the in's and out's, and just messing around an having fun with my new found toy. I learned a ridiculous amount in really short time and I just want to learn more about what I can do with it.

The concept of the character is that she is a Roller Derby girl on a Derby team called The Nutcrackers. Roller Derby teams generally have theme uniforms, so in relation to their team name they all wear tutus and leotards. She was a really fun character to come up with and work on since she had so many odd things about her. She is definitely not the typical video game character and I really like that about the concept.

Weirdly enough my favorite part of the sculpt is her ears. They were one of the last things I sculpted and it made me feel confident in my skills as I was able to finish them pretty quickly and I was pretty happy with the result. It made me feel like the next time I sculpt a character I will be much quicker and I will hopefully be improved. After all this was the first time I have ever done this and practice will hopefully continue to help me improve my skills. This is only the beginning and I look forward to learning more.

We are now retopologizing our the high-res mesh, rigging them, and animating so I should have some of that up soon.

I plan on doing a lot more sculpting in the future because this was ridiculously fun.Summer will be full of Z-brush and it will be wonderful.

To see larger versions of the images just CLICK on them!


High-Res Base Anatomy Sculpt
High-Res Bust

High-Res Full Turnaround

Work in Progress Sculpt without Textures